Be Open About Health Care Challenges

Back to article »

• Hi Bill! Thanks for sharing this informative article. I agree, encouraging competition could help keep the health care/medical services prices down though it still helps to have some regulation.

MMJ Canada | July 24, 2017 | Reply

• Bill GREAT article of facts on private health services. … another fact I met a gentleman that had no problem paying $20,000.00 for a hip surgery done in Quebec. …he wasn’t willing to wait and was not upset in paying the money as he recognized his money was NOT worth more than living pain free now rather than later. I like your term medical tourism and we could attract the best doctors if they could private bill and reduce wait times as a result. Heck the government could also require them to do a certain number of public surgeries at a reduced cost to government in exchange for this lucrative opportunity to bill privately. Statistics show that the baby boomers will be one of the richest generation now or very soon inheriting their traditional parents’ wealth on top of their own!! We …. Nova Scotia need to capitalize on that and make Nova Scotia the go-to province for this kind of excellent care…our liberal government SHOULD consider doing something this bold like Ray Ivany said Now or Never!

Barbara MacLellan | June 24, 2017 | Reply

• Many European countries have “two tier” health systems. Can we learn from them? Does having a private option cause major problems for their public system? Seems that much of our opposition to the private option is based on an egalitarian ethic. If valid, what is the logic in applying it to health care and not to food, clothing and shelter? Do we not have “multi-tiered systems” for most products and services in a market economy?

Steve Chipman | June 20, 2017 | Reply

• I would prefer to have surgery from a physician who does a lot of XX surgery, whether orthopedic or ophthalmologic or cosmetic or whatever. A day a week doesn’t cut it. If surgeons have to go to the private sector to get the OR time they need to stay sharp, I’m in favor of it.

JillR | June 18, 2017 | Reply

• To want to provide more/better health care services/access is quite understandable ; but I fear that the suggested remedy would eventually bring about quite the opposite result…As an example, let us assume that we have a bucket in which water is gathered and concurrently released; if, for any reason, the ‘inflow’ is reduced, eventually the bucket will get emptied. The plan to increase ‘private’ services will eventually decrease the source of ‘inflow’ to the public system and in due course cause it to become empty…

Bob MacKenzie | June 18, 2017 | Reply

• Hypothetically I need a knee replacement and am willing and able to pay the cost differential between having it done in NS and a place of my choice in the US–where I spend ~6 months a year and can get the operation done practically on demand by the doctor and clinic of my choice.
    Why will NS not issue me a credit slip or voucher equal to the amount of the cost of the procedure in NS for me to apply against the cost in the US?
    This frees up a spot in the wait list here and gives me a timely and convenient solution to my problem.
    Or do they even know the actual cost here?
    Probably not–as health care here is not run like a business.

Bill | June 18, 2017 | Reply

• The more basic problem is that your perfectly understandable request ( and why should you have to go to the US if a private facility here will do it?) defeats the supply management budget system.

Bill | June 18, 2017 | Reply

• Possibly the supply management system (corporate unionism to me) is not the proper criteria.
        I can,if needs be,grow my chickens,beef or eggs but am hard pressed to do my own knee replacement

Bill | June 20, 2017 | Reply

• I just wish the hospitals would publish basic statistics on their workloads and wait times .

peter s | June 18, 2017 | Reply