Canadian Values Test

Back to article »

• If we ever end up with a Canadian Values Test I certainly hope none of these 10 ever make the list. I always considered “values” as the important principles we live by, they are very broad and all encompassing. As such we can share a “value” with another group, even though both groups may live with different ways of acting within the value.
    The article primarily deals with the institution of democracy. I suggest our principle is;

We value democracy, which gives the citizens the right to elect the representatives who make the laws we must live with in. We have a constitution that defines the rights of citizens, and the limitations of the elected representatives, and government agencies. If there is a need to “interpret ” the laws, within the provisions of the constitution of that country there is an independent “supreme” court to do so.
    The article deals with examples of different ways of living within the value. Those 10 examples are NOT values. They are not basic principles, they are “operating” policies. The only important thing is both Canada and the US have a shared value related to Democracy. Both countries have constitutions, regularly elected representatives and a supreme court that allows disputes to be resolved without conflict.
    I do not like all the policies that Americans live with. But I do respect that on the very important value of Democracy they are very strong, and thank goodness for that.
    I hardly consider all our policies perfect and an equally long list could be compiled that would question/ embarass our democracy. Once we can become perfect we can throw stones at other democracies.

barry h | November 19, 2016 | Reply

• Thanks Barry.
      Yes, both countries aspire to be democratic. At the moment my feeling is that the US version is not working well. I would have said the same if Hilary had won.

Bill B

Bill | November 19, 2016 | Reply

• Bill, I agree it is scary how divided and dysfunctional the US has become. It appears to be in a downward spiral that will test its values. One has to wonder if we are witnessing the decline of the “American empire”, much like we saw the decline of the British Empire a century ago.
        The sad part is the terrorist attacks of 9/11 may have been the single event that initiated that decline and continue today to have an impact.

barry h | November 21, 2016 | Reply

• Well done,Bill.

Valerie Payn | November 19, 2016 | Reply

• If your proposed disclosure amounts to establishing that immigrants should be prepared to integrate comfortably into Canadian communities or be refused full citizenship, then I think yours is a useful discussion piece. While you have listed ten differences with the USA, the majority of new immigrants are more foreign and I certainly couldn’t list unwanted non-Canadian values, but I think I recognize some when they assert themselves.

if the community is comfortable taking them in, shouldn’t they comfortably integrate ?

gordon a.... | November 18, 2016 | Reply

• There was an offer of land to entice new employees to Cape Breton this year and 3 got hired out of some 3500 who applied. This alone shows we can attract people if we try. I disagree a bit with your #6 on the 2 languages as we are not really a bilingual country . Yes,if you want to work for the Federal Government and in parts of Ontario or NB , but otherwise English is all anyone needs.Our rural areas are a far better option than most realize as compared to the USA , schooling and university is much cheaper, and really so are our taxes . Check any municipal or Provincial website and you will not see any making any effort to attract any immigrants, certainly with any incentives such as land or tax incentives .

Peter S | November 18, 2016 | Reply

• That’s a pretty good, general line up of how we see and do things here and quite a nice way of introducing us, especially to a large group of folks, who to a considerable extent, are barely aware of our existance.

Bob MacKenzie | November 18, 2016 | Reply