The Federal Conservatives Must Seek An Inclusive Leader

Back to article »

• I thought of you when I read this article (link below) today. You mentioned a few times in your February 18 column that the convoy demonstration was peaceful. You implied that being “peaceful” is all that matters and therefore the truckers were within their rights to stay on the streets of Ottawa for weeks on end.
    If you haven’t already, maybe you would like to read the following article for clarification on the difference between being “peaceful” and what are “reasonable limits”.
    “A peaceful assembly that is violating municipal, provincial and federal law, it may well be peaceful within the contours of the peaceful assembly guarantee but that doesn’t mean that it isn’t subject to reasonable limits”
    Reply From Bill Black:
    The second article did a better job of acknowledging the harm from things like persistent horn blowing.
    My impression from news reports is that the Ottawa police were complicit in the weeks long parking of the trucks.

Janet Corkum | February 27, 2022 | Reply

Janet Corkum | February 27, 2022 | Reply

• I think you understated the case for the stupidity of the federal CPC.
    You could post the Stanfield memo from the 1970’s as the basis for government and governing this country.

Wayne | February 27, 2022 | Reply

• Hi Bill. Congrats on another very good Herald article today. Great analysis of the arrogance and intolerance of the Trudeau govt v the incoherence of the Conservatives. I couldn’t agree more in both cases. You are on a roll!

Jamie Baillie | February 27, 2022 | Reply

• Unfortunately you are spot on! Like many I’m a bit embarrassed.

Jamie Muir | February 27, 2022 | Reply

• As you will recall, I supported you and the PC’s in the past. With the current crop of highly partisan CPC “leaders”, with no coherent platform, I find it extremely difficult to consider supporting the CPC at this time.

Ron Gregor | February 25, 2022 | Reply

• I was running for the provincial PC’s, not the federal Conservatives

Bill

Bill | February 25, 2022 | Reply

• Yes Bill . The Conservatives are having a hard time finding a satisfactory leader . Quite obviously the selection process is flawed . And, we all know that conservatives like to fight among themselves rather than against those in opposition. Maybe we should push the right person out onto the stage . How’d that be ?

Gordon | February 25, 2022 | Reply